Friday, September 25, 2009

Do You See Miracles?

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

I read this quote on another website about a cancer patient, and it really hit home. I have always been someone who lives as if everything is miraculous, and this has been greatly magnified by having cancer.

Is life really worth living if you never take delight in what you see around you, who you have around you, and what gifts you have been given? To me, that's not living; it's just existing, and there is a huge difference.

I know that the fact that I'm alive is a miracle: when I was born 2 1/2 months premature, weighing 2 lbs. 7 oz., all that could be done was to baptize me and put me in an incubator. The amazing technology we now have to assist very tiny babies didn't even exist.

For a while, the doctors thought that I was born blind, that I would probably have severe problems ever walking or moving normally, and there was a good chance that my brain would be damaged by the inexact oxygen levels of my contained environment. My chance of survival was slim. All that I had going for me was my will to live, and the tender care of the nursing Sisters of Providence, who were completely devoted to me. I was released from the hospital 3 months later, weighing a whopping 5 pounds, still resembling a doll more than an actual baby. The doctor who delivered me used to call me "the little atom", because I was so small at birth.

I beat the odds, and survived, with no adverse affects. So, perhaps why someone like me sees life as miraculous - for me, it really is.

It's easy to get jaded and cynical about life, but it doesn't have to be that way; and, you don't have to experience life-threatening illness to make you appreciate being alive. There are miracles for you to find each and every day. It all depends on your outlook, as Einstein wisely observed.

So, I ask, "Do You See Miracles?" I hope so...





No comments:

Post a Comment